GM obd 1 scann tool to check timing

Discussion in 'Powerlogger for Buick' started by Ron Freitas, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Ron Freitas

Ron Freitas Member

Hey guys its been a wile since i installed all the parts from you a few years back.car has been running fine ,been driving it for the last six months going easy on it.Recently purchased a used mustang dyno and decided to strap it and did some pulls on it,knock retard was going up so tried playing with timing but still pulls timing from knock.not a buick guy so im not familiar where the EST bypass connector is located to disconnect and check timing,so i used my old school GM obd1 scan tool to check timing and its showing stock base timing at 15 degrees, correct if looking in alldata base timing, but i see in recent post searches that timing should be at 0 degrees.I checked cam sensor alignment with the GN cam sensor tool and that is set,Checked pulley allignment and it shows dead on 0 degrees at TDC
    how would i change the actual base timing.Here is what i have installed, purchased from turbo tweak.

RON FREITAS
    2921 Banyon St
    Pahrump, NV 89048-6214
    United States

Items Ordered:price:Status:
    • 1 of : 60lb/hr Injector/Chip Combo for Buick/TTA[Car Type:86/87 Turbo Buick][Chip Type:Street (with or without alcohol injection)][Fuel Octane:91][Upgrade to Wideband 6.1 chip?:Yes (requires a Powerlogger and wideband O2)][Turbo:precision turbo 60-1][Intercooler:precision stretched stock location upgrade][Torque Converter:2800 stall][Cylinder Heads:stock with upgraded 90lb springs][Camshaft:stock][ECM reading correct MPH?:Yes, it's within +/- 10 MPH][If alky injection, what kit?:single stage alky kit][If alky, how many nozzles?:1][Intended max boost with this chip:25 lbs][1/4 mile goals, (if any):10 second range][Other Info:stage 2 transmission with hard billet parts,fuel pressure gauge with regulator,walbro pump with hot wire upgrade,cold air intake,bigger throttle body,3 inch down pipe,scan master,aem afr gauge.]

2. EricM

EricM Administrator Staff Member

Hello,
    It looks like the info you are finding is not for a turbo Buick. You cannot change the base timing.

To check timing, jump the A-B terminals at the ALDL connector (top 2 far right), then start the car. This will lock timing to 15*. Check it with a timing light. If it's at 15*, then you're good.

If it's knocking, then it's likely either too lean or not enough alcohol, or too much boost. It's also possible it's false knock.

Since you have a powerlogger, and a 3-bar map, and wideband, you can check those things by looking at a log. Also, make sure the wideband is connected correctly to the powerlogger, since you have a wideband chip.

Regards,
    Eric

3. Ron Freitas

Ron Freitas Member

Thank You for the quick response Eric. It is at 15 degrees,i turned up the alky knob to 7 and took out the knock:)but still feels like its holding back in the higher rpm's,Im going to send you some logg files i saved from today, if you have time could you look at it and let me know what you think,any help would be greatly appreciated.Also can you log IAT? Is there a IAT you sell that can be installed to the logger,felt the intercooler piping was pretty hot and was wondering if you could monitor the temps on the power logger if a sensor was added.(just wondering)
    Thanks for your time Eric.

Ron.

4. EricM

EricM Administrator Staff Member

IAT is already logged, but you would have to move the sensor from the intake to the up-pipe.