chip for over 30Lbs

Discussion in 'All Topics, Chips, and Tech for Buicks' started by turbocamino, Sep 26, 2019.

1. turbocamino

turbocamino Well-Known Member

Eric, seems my 6766,bison unit, 90Lb/Mn turbo doesnt wake up until 32 lbs,orso on my 30 over 109,w/good iron headis,, .. is making a chip for boost that is over what my 3 bar map is designed for,,or my gauge,, a problem?

2. EricM

EricM Administrator Staff Member

As far as the chip or computer is concerned, it doesn't matter, since the stock computer does not use the MAP sensor for anything. However, you will want to be able to read boost somehow.

For a setup like your's, I will set up the chip for intended power level, not necessarily boost, so it helps to know if someone is targeting say high 9's in the 1/4, or low 10's, etc.

3. turbocamino

i see..thanks... when i do the math.. it puts the HP around 600hp..and may be a bit over the line for the particular motor?...have to ponder all this more,thanks

4. turbocamino

what is involved,other than a gauge,to read over 30Psi ?

5. EricM

You just need a gauge that reads high enough for whatever boost level you want to run.

6. turbocamino

i have the 3 bar map that came with Razor's kit..but was under the impression it was only accurate to 30psi... is there a gauge you may have experience with that you feel is good/accurate? thanks

7. EricM

I think we are mis-communicating. You asked how to read over 30psi. The only way for you to see boost is with a gauge, unless you have a powerlogger with a MAP sensor connected.

The alcohol system is a completely different system that needs it's own MAP sensor, which is normally a 3-bar. It's unlikely you would need to change that, since the alky system is maxed by the time you get to 30psi anyway.

Let me know if you have any questions.

8. turbocamino

I am sorry..i was thinking the boost signal for the gauge was picked up at the map... i should have done my homework ..i see now after following the line it just tee's into the manifold only...i did find a nice mechanical AutoMeter gauge as well...i will be ordering a new chip for the 6766 tomorrow .. thanks for your patience.

9. EricM

No problem!